Monday, May 19, 2014

The Trickster - Chapter 3

1:12pm


The sirens trumpet a terrifying apocalypse! Their otherworldly music, wild and discordant, intensifies my panic.
Blood… there’s a lot of blood. I’m covered in it. How, I wonder, did I not see this coming? There were hemorrhaging red flags flapping around me all day long. If only I’d paid closer attention. I shake my head; dragged to destruction by the links of fate…
The pain in my stomach is searing. The slightest movement causes a chain reaction of stabbing tremolos to burn through me. Resigned, I burrow down, determined to ride it out. Slouching against a bookshelf, dozens of copies of Homer’s Odyssey all spattered with blood, stare back at me.
The black humour makes me grimace. I suppose I should be grateful that I’m not lying amongst the manuals in the computer programming section… or in between rows of engineering texts. Those sections of the library couldn’t be any less heroic. But here, surrounded by the blind story-teller’s poetry, the irony isn’t lost.
Anticipating the coming fury; Homer’s words resound. And like the stalwart Ulysses I listen to the song that the sirens sing.
In the past I grimaced whenever a squawking emergency vehicle raced past. The overbearing scream of horns, the high pitch squeal ricocheting off my eardrums has always unnerved me. But today, the duet of police and ambulance sirens is a life-affirming melody to behold. While the rest of the world, like the shipmates of the wily Greek, plug their ears against the terrifying wail, the sirens’ song sets my spirit free.
Above restraint the tides of sorrow burst their banks… Why would someone shoot me?
The necropolis, normally austere and quiet, now reverberates with shock and awe. Frightened pleas and involuntary crying float down the stacks, bleeding panic and confusion. Students are running in all directions. Some bewildered, in a state of shock, wander out in the open: mannequins and zombies just waiting to be picked off. Others, hidden beneath study cubicles have turned on their cell phone cameras and aim their devices in my direction.
If these are my final moments, I prefer to look inward, pining for home… for Ithaca… for Molly.
Lying in a pool of my own blood I realize something: hope defrauds those it has promised to save. I know it doesn’t sound all that profound… but at this moment… Christ, I’m so fucked! I have dreams and a child on the way. This can’t be happening.
Clearly I’m in shock. My short-term memory, short-circuited, provides no clue as to how I ended up like this. The hole in my stomach is large enough to fit my thumb. Worse, the amount of blood bubbling out doesn’t bode well for my future.
Taking a deep breath I try to make sense of my predicament. What’s the last thing I remember? Shackled to my fate, I rack my brain but can’t free my short-term memory. What the fuck happened to me?

I begin to rewind, going further back in time to the start of my day. And in a flash I find myself back in that moment when dream and consciousness played tricks with me. I remember feeling fractured apart: locked in a tug-of-war between dimensions. Compelled I lost myself in the illusions that Hypnos conjured up for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment