Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Chapter 8 The Trickster

1:14 pm


Two rows of books behind me I hear a hushed voice. Mom, I don’t know what to do. It’s a young man; his throaty words are dry, hoarse and broken. I’m scared.
Pause.
The voice is fighting back tears. A woman was shot in the head. I can practically reach out and touch her. Another long pause before: What should I do? His voice rises, then, catching himself, he brings his volume back down to a trembling whisper.
Pause.
Maybe I should run for it. I can feel his panic.
Pause.
No, I don’t see the shooter.
Pause.
The voice breaks: I love you too.
I hear him drawing in huge draughts of air. I’m going to run for it.
Pause.
I won’t hang up.
I hear the sound of slapping feet against the linoleum floor as the owner of the faceless voice races towards the stairs. I hold my breath, anticipating the worst. But no hammer slams down: no gunshot resounds.
That’s when I see it… hovering over me… holding a gun. It’s bleeding: shot in its leg. How?
Dude, you’re not looking so good. It wipes blood off its brow with the sleeve of its shirt.
Sliding to the ground, it unbuckles its belt and makes a tourniquet for its leg.
When I try to sit up, I begin to cough and sputter.
It puts its hand on my shoulder. Chill bro, stay still. There’s compassion in its voice… something that I’ve never detected from it before. It pulls its hoodie off and covers my chest with it. You need to press this into the wound to slow the bleeding.

No comments:

Post a Comment