Monday, June 9, 2014

Chapter 11 of The Trickster

Skip


Around the room, I looked into the eyes of the people who had gathered. I began to read. Now that he is gone, I appreciate Skip’s magnum opus more than ever.
Dad’s great work, crafted from flesh and blood, was his children. The memorial service was a crowded affair. I looked up from my notes at the coworkers, friends and family members before continuing.
Two years younger than his brother and ten years older than his sister, dad duplicated that familial pattern when he created a family of his own. Blind to the future, but never pensive with fear, Skip was a craftsman. Greg, my brother, was born two years after me and ten years before our sister Catherine. All of us sculpted from repeating patterns of DNA.
Skip grew up in Detroit, formed from the fruitful genius of depression era Motown. A wily southpaw, he blossomed into an amateur basketball star in the 1950s. Blessed with grace and agility, he was a determined competitor whose desire to win was balanced by his sense of fair play. A fine golfer with an archer's knack for tucking his irons close to the flag, he inspired in me a love for the game. Over some three decades of strolling the links together, I managed only once to outscore Skip.
I remember how proud he was of me that afternoon as we lounged in the clubhouse after our round. I'll never forget the respect I felt for him as I listened to dad boast about my victory to his clubhouse cronies. Even though I'd finally managed to best him, I realized, that winning was meaningless unless I aspired to the qualities of sportsmanship that my father exemplified.
Near the end of his life when the leukemia left him feeling exhausted, Skip’s natural nobility never wavered. There was no bitterness; no regrets. With tender words, he emphasized how full and happy his life had been, reiterating again and again how fortunate he was to have had such loving and beautiful children.
During his final days, I often spoke to him about what he envisioned on the other side. He was vague and obtuse and generally changed the subject toward my sister and brother and mother, reminding me that through our actions his spirit would live on.
The final time we spoke, I told my father things that had remained unspoken between us since I was a child, expressing with words how much I loved and respected him.
-You've always been a winner, dad. You were a great father.-
He smiled a wary smile and I continued. -If there's such a thing as reincarnation, I know you're going to be reborn a star NBA point guard.-
Skip laughed: -Honestly, I'd much rather come back as a golfer who wins the Masters!-
-Maybe you'll do both, - I countered, -the first athlete to play in the NBA and don the green jacket at Augusta National.-
Dad's voice was weak. -Well, if I do happen to do both, you'll know it's me.-
I did some rudimentary math.
-Let's just assume it takes you about thirty years to do both. That would make me about seventy-four years old by the time you accomplished both tasks.-
I told Dad that I'd come down and cheer him on during the final round of the Masters.
-And don't forget to introduce yourself to me as the son I had from a previous incarnation.-
-Absolutely- I said. -You can count on it.-



No comments:

Post a Comment